Make Your Home Look Unappealing to Burglary
Criminals would rather have an easy target to burglarize than one they had to plan. If your home doesn’t look that appealing to a criminal, there is a good chance they will move on to the next house. Aside from owning an alarm system Hamilton, which is usually the best deterrent, there are ways you can make your home seem more guarded than it actually is. For those who are on a strict budget, this could be the means to help keep yourself, family, and valuables protected.
1. Windows – Having an open window is like having the red carpet rolled out for the burglar. It is an easy entryway that he or she doesn’t have to put much effort into getting past. Although bars on the windows usually keeps the criminal element at bay, having a simple stick placed in the window’s track could keep it from opening should a burglar attempt to pry it open.
2. Dead Bolts – Having dead bolts on your outer doors can turn away a variety of criminals. Although a determined criminal with a crowbar could still possibly get in, they are going to make a world of noise doing so. As dead bolts are inexpensive, they could be a reminder to the burglar that they’re going to have to work for it in order to get in, which most of them won’t.
3. The Bluff – Many criminals are turned away from the sign in the window that says “Protected By” a random company. Even homes that have been sold and no longer are protected by the alarm agency are vandalized less because of that window sticker. You should still look into an affordable alarm method for far better security, however.
4. Blocking Access – By moving obstacles in the path of reaching windows and doors that are outside, you are restricting the movements of a would-be burglar. Thorn bushes, large trash cans, vines, or trees next to windows assists in preventing entry. Most criminals are looking for an easy target, remember.
5. Curtains – Sometimes those who are burglarized unwittingly advertised their goods. Having curtains on your windows prevents people from looking in and seeing what you have for the taking. Many burglars see what they want through a window days in advance before deciding to rob the house.
It is always a better idea to have an alarm system of some kind within the home. This could mean the difference between life and death in some situations. However, keeping your home from looking like easy pickings could go a long way to keeping your valuables secure. Be mindful of your surroundings and you could decrease the chances of your home being burglarized.
Sara is an active nanny as well as an active freelance writer. She is a frequent contributor of http://www.nannypro.com/. Learn more about her http://www.nannypro.com/blog/sara-dawkins/.